Rep. Joe Wilson’s “You lie!” shout to President Obama “struck a new low” in our civil political debate, said USA Today in an editorial, surpassing the “previous low point,” when Democrats booed President Bush’s 2005 State of the Union speech. Sure, presidents have endured “grumbling and booing” from Congress before, especially in recent times, “but no one has disrespected the presidency as Wilson did.”
Yes, Wilson’s outburst “sets a new low bar,” said Kathleen Parker in The Washington Post. But for all the overblown “post-Wilson harrumphing,” we forget that “histrionics” is “a time-honored tradition” in American politics. And thank goodness, too. “What’s more memorable: a president’s rehearsed assertions from the podium or a bunch of congressmen booing the leader of the free world?”
Snickering, booing, and even soft group heckling of the president go back to at least 1993, said Juliet Lapidos in Slate. Wilson’s “loud and denigrating retort,” however, marks the first time a congressman has gone beyond “communal muttering.” And his charge of lying wouldn’t even be tolerated in Britain’s famously “raucous” Parliament.
“All presidents get vilified,” said Richard Cohen in The Washington Post. And Wilson’s lack of respect toward Obama, while “both appalling and shocking,” is no match for the ugliness Lyndon Johnson faced. The reason is the same, though—their political enemies didn’t consider them “legitimate” presidents. With Obama, it’s hard not to think that the irrational animosity of GOP critics and “birthers” is based on “bigotry”—that the U.S. president should be white.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week