ennifer's Body "isn't your assembly-line teen horror thriller," said Roger Ebert in the Chicago Sun-Times. The new film from Juno scribe Diablo Cody is "Twilight for boys, with Megan Fox in the Robert Pattinson role." Fox does a great job as a high school "babe" who's transformed into a "fiend who eats the flesh of teenage boys"—and I'd much "rather see Jennifer's Body (watch the trailer) again than Twilight."
"Megan Fox wields her sexuality like a blunt object" in Jennifer's Body, said Joshua Rothkopf in Time Out New York, and the movie "has a centerfold sheen to it." And for a while, it "has real fangs," but screenwriter Diablo Cody "loses her satiric way about halfway through."
Jennifer's Body "could have been an updated, horror-thriller version of Heathers—smart, witty," and "outrageously dark," said Marshall Fine in Hollywood & Fine. But Diablo Cody's script "is barely funny—and what humor there is gets crushed by the heavy-handed direction of Karyn Kusama and the marginal acting skills of Megan Fox."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week