ennifer's Body "isn't your assembly-line teen horror thriller," said Roger Ebert in the Chicago Sun-Times. The new film from Juno scribe Diablo Cody is "Twilight for boys, with Megan Fox in the Robert Pattinson role." Fox does a great job as a high school "babe" who's transformed into a "fiend who eats the flesh of teenage boys"—and I'd much "rather see Jennifer's Body (watch the trailer) again than Twilight."
"Megan Fox wields her sexuality like a blunt object" in Jennifer's Body, said Joshua Rothkopf in Time Out New York, and the movie "has a centerfold sheen to it." And for a while, it "has real fangs," but screenwriter Diablo Cody "loses her satiric way about halfway through."
Jennifer's Body "could have been an updated, horror-thriller version of Heathers—smart, witty," and "outrageously dark," said Marshall Fine in Hollywood & Fine. But Diablo Cody's script "is barely funny—and what humor there is gets crushed by the heavy-handed direction of Karyn Kusama and the marginal acting skills of Megan Fox."
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- The secrets of happy families
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- Americans are wealthier than ever*
- What every TV show can learn from Sleepy Hollow
- Godzilla: Watch the surprisingly grim trailer for the blockbuster reboot
- Is the rent really too damn high?
- Antarctica recently experienced the coldest day in recorded history
Subscribe to the Week