Two people fear Glenn Beck: President Obama and Rush Limbaugh, said Michael Calderone in Politico. At least that’s what GOP strategist Mark McKinnon says, and he's got a point: With his “9/12” protests, the ouster of Van Jones, and the “czar” flap, “Beck is on a huge roll”—and the cover of Time, too. “Where does that leave Rush?” The king of conservative talk radio is “still large and in charge”—with a much bigger audience—but Beck’s power is growing “exponentially.”
After the Van Jones resignation, Fox News host Beck is now the “premier commentator on the contemporary right,” said Donald Douglas in American Power. It’s “amazing” how fast he’s come to have “a dramatic effect” on top-rung politics—“almost like All the President’s Men without Deep Throat.” If "Democratic malfeasance" damages Obama, people will thank (or blame) Beck, not Limbaugh.
Look, Glenn Beck is doing “tremendous work,” said Dana Pretzer in Scared Monkeys, but he has “a long way to go in both sustainability in the media and message” to match Rush. If anything, Limbaugh might finally be getting a “comparable ally” in Beck—or, to put it another way, maybe Beck is “cable TV’s Rush Limbaugh.”
Limbaugh and Beck are both “media dynamos,” said David Von Drehle in Time. But the “nervous, beset, desperate” Beck better captures the fear and “political weakness” of today’s conservatives. Limbaugh was suited to a different time—he “found his place as the triumphant champion of the Age of Reagan”—as was “macho Sean Hannity,” who “captured the cocky vibe of the early Bush years.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- How to live a long life, according to science
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 8 of our favorite ridiculously long German words
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week