wo people fear Glenn Beck: President Obama and Rush Limbaugh, said Michael Calderone in Politico. At least that’s what GOP strategist Mark McKinnon says, and he's got a point: With his “9/12” protests, the ouster of Van Jones, and the “czar” flap, “Beck is on a huge roll”—and the cover of Time, too. “Where does that leave Rush?” The king of conservative talk radio is “still large and in charge”—with a much bigger audience—but Beck’s power is growing “exponentially.”
After the Van Jones resignation, Fox News host Beck is now the “premier commentator on the contemporary right,” said Donald Douglas in American Power. It’s “amazing” how fast he’s come to have “a dramatic effect” on top-rung politics—“almost like All the President’s Men without Deep Throat.” If "Democratic malfeasance" damages Obama, people will thank (or blame) Beck, not Limbaugh.
Look, Glenn Beck is doing “tremendous work,” said Dana Pretzer in Scared Monkeys, but he has “a long way to go in both sustainability in the media and message” to match Rush. If anything, Limbaugh might finally be getting a “comparable ally” in Beck—or, to put it another way, maybe Beck is “cable TV’s Rush Limbaugh.”
Limbaugh and Beck are both “media dynamos,” said David Von Drehle in Time. But the “nervous, beset, desperate” Beck better captures the fear and “political weakness” of today’s conservatives. Limbaugh was suited to a different time—he “found his place as the triumphant champion of the Age of Reagan”—as was “macho Sean Hannity,” who “captured the cocky vibe of the early Bush years.”
- 4 tech tools that are disrupting the doctor's office
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Eli Manning is the worst quarterback since Mark Sanchez
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- Why conservatives just don't get Pope Francis' anti-poverty crusade
- I make a six-figure salary — but I'm in financial trouble
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Is Obama really doing worse than Bush and Nixon?
- Get ready for a massive renewable energy boom
- Why does China's Moon Rover exhibit show a nuclear mushroom cloud over Europe?
Subscribe to the Week