America has crossed a dangerous line, said Thomas Friedman in The New York Times. The far Right's attacks on Barack Obama's legitimacy as president are creating a poisonous political environment like the one in Israel that a right-wing Jewish nationalist interpreted as a "license to kill" Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin. When someone posts a Facebook poll asking "Should Obama be killed?" they are "encouraging the unthinkable."
What a hypocrite, said Peter Wehner in Commentary. Where was Friedman when Democratic politicians and liberal columnists were saying that they hated George W. Bush and challenging his right to sit in the Oval Office? The columnist was even silent "when there was actually a movie made about the assassination of President Bush (Death of a President)"—Friedman "would have a lot more credibility now if he had actually spoken out before."
Hypocrisy is just the first problem with Thomas Friedman's assassination alarm, said Paul Mirengoff in Power Line. The second problem with Friedman's column is that it's "simply foolish." There's "enough harshly worded antagonism" toward any president to make an argument like his.
The Right's acid response to Thomas Friedman only proves his point, said Steve Benen in The Washington Monthly. Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele called Friedman a "nut job" and said his arguments were "just crazy." See? "The Right is playing with fire and doesn't care."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
Subscribe to the Week