Bad news for anyone who was looking forward to Kanye West's "Fame Kills" tour with Lady Gaga—it's been "scrapped because ticket sales sucked," said TMZ. Insiders say another factor was that "West and Gaga's people were at each others' throats like their last names were Gosselin." Apparently Lady Gaga would rather play small venues alone than accompany Kanye on the nationwide tour, which was scheduled to run from November through January.
"Considering Kanye's 'Glow in the Dark' tour was sold out and Gaga's star is on the rise," said Daniel Kreps in Rolling Stone, "it's hard to believe ticket sales were that poor." But then again, a "wave of anti-Kanye sentiment" has "washed across the country" since he "stole the spotlight from Taylor Swift" at MTV's Video Music Awards back in September, so it's definitely possible.
At the VMAs, Kanye "was filmed drinking cognac straight from the bottle," said Jim Derogatis in the Chicago Sun-Times, and some "reports say he may be heading to rehab." Also, "several musicians close to the star" say he hasn't been the same since "ending his engagement and suffering the death of his mother" last year, and that "his emotional state has been fragile." But for now, the tour cancellation is still somewhat of a mystery.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- What if The Purge was real?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week