Bad news for anyone who was looking forward to Kanye West's "Fame Kills" tour with Lady Gaga—it's been "scrapped because ticket sales sucked," said TMZ. Insiders say another factor was that "West and Gaga's people were at each others' throats like their last names were Gosselin." Apparently Lady Gaga would rather play small venues alone than accompany Kanye on the nationwide tour, which was scheduled to run from November through January.
"Considering Kanye's 'Glow in the Dark' tour was sold out and Gaga's star is on the rise," said Daniel Kreps in Rolling Stone, "it's hard to believe ticket sales were that poor." But then again, a "wave of anti-Kanye sentiment" has "washed across the country" since he "stole the spotlight from Taylor Swift" at MTV's Video Music Awards back in September, so it's definitely possible.
At the VMAs, Kanye "was filmed drinking cognac straight from the bottle," said Jim Derogatis in the Chicago Sun-Times, and some "reports say he may be heading to rehab." Also, "several musicians close to the star" say he hasn't been the same since "ending his engagement and suffering the death of his mother" last year, and that "his emotional state has been fragile." But for now, the tour cancellation is still somewhat of a mystery.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Why we gossip, according to science
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week