OOD DAY FOR: Foster’s Beer, as popular Australian racing event the Bathurst 1000 is limiting alcohol consumption this year—to 24 cans of beer per adult each day, or 24 mixed drinks or four liters of wine. “Every year thousands of race fans attend and enjoy the event and Police will not allow their safety to be compromised by a drunken few,” said Assistant Commissioner Alan Clarke. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Originality, after 64 of the 10,000 Hotmail users who had their accounts hacked recently used the same password: 123456. All email users might want to consider changing their passwords, though—after the 10,000 Hotmail user names and passwords appeared on the site PasteBin, another 20,000 were shown to the BBC including Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, and other accounts. (Wired)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- How Captain America won over China
- The week's best photojournalism
- How the elderly are treated around the world
Subscribe to the Week