Rush Limbaugh's American dream, said Bryan Burwell in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, is the St. Louis Rams' worst nightmare. The conservative talk-radio giant wants to realize every fan's fantasy and buy part of a team—the Rams—but his "racist demagoguery" would anger African-American players and embarrass the team and the National Football League. "His money might be green, but his words are colored with hate and intolerance."
"Rush-haters" should be giddy that Limbaugh wants to buy the Rams, said Geoffrey Norman in National Review. St. Louis "holds the longest current losing streak in the NFL," so "there would be hot servings of schadenfreude" for liberals on football Sundays. But a Limbaugh-run team likely "wouldn’t be a loser for long," as Limbaugh—who's a fan, not a football genius—would surely hire solid professionals and watch them turn the team around.
"It is possible that Limbaugh could be an effective owner," said Dawn Knight in The Washington Post, "and at 0-4, the Rams obviously need something to change." But "to me, football is like church, and I'm for the separation of church and state." I wouldn't want a scrappy liberal like James Carville to own a team—and I suspect that "Limbaugh's strong political views" could "have a negative impact on the team, at least at first."
That's putting it mildly, said CBSSports.com columnist Mike Freeman, also in The Washington Post. This is a man who once said NFL games look like Bloods vs. Crips, without weapons, and that slavery had its merits. And his last flirtation with football—as an ESPN commentator—ended in disaster when he said that Donovan McNabb was overrated because the media "has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well." Oh, well, at least if Limbaugh gets a team, those of us who write about football will have plenty of material.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
Subscribe to the Week