Rush Limbaugh's American dream, said Bryan Burwell in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, is the St. Louis Rams' worst nightmare. The conservative talk-radio giant wants to realize every fan's fantasy and buy part of a team—the Rams—but his "racist demagoguery" would anger African-American players and embarrass the team and the National Football League. "His money might be green, but his words are colored with hate and intolerance."
"Rush-haters" should be giddy that Limbaugh wants to buy the Rams, said Geoffrey Norman in National Review. St. Louis "holds the longest current losing streak in the NFL," so "there would be hot servings of schadenfreude" for liberals on football Sundays. But a Limbaugh-run team likely "wouldn’t be a loser for long," as Limbaugh—who's a fan, not a football genius—would surely hire solid professionals and watch them turn the team around.
"It is possible that Limbaugh could be an effective owner," said Dawn Knight in The Washington Post, "and at 0-4, the Rams obviously need something to change." But "to me, football is like church, and I'm for the separation of church and state." I wouldn't want a scrappy liberal like James Carville to own a team—and I suspect that "Limbaugh's strong political views" could "have a negative impact on the team, at least at first."
That's putting it mildly, said CBSSports.com columnist Mike Freeman, also in The Washington Post. This is a man who once said NFL games look like Bloods vs. Crips, without weapons, and that slavery had its merits. And his last flirtation with football—as an ESPN commentator—ended in disaster when he said that Donovan McNabb was overrated because the media "has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well." Oh, well, at least if Limbaugh gets a team, those of us who write about football will have plenty of material.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- 10 things you need to know today: August 22, 2014
- How collaborative innovation led to the experimental serum for Ebola
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week