Rush Limbaugh's American dream, said Bryan Burwell in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, is the St. Louis Rams' worst nightmare. The conservative talk-radio giant wants to realize every fan's fantasy and buy part of a team—the Rams—but his "racist demagoguery" would anger African-American players and embarrass the team and the National Football League. "His money might be green, but his words are colored with hate and intolerance."
"Rush-haters" should be giddy that Limbaugh wants to buy the Rams, said Geoffrey Norman in National Review. St. Louis "holds the longest current losing streak in the NFL," so "there would be hot servings of schadenfreude" for liberals on football Sundays. But a Limbaugh-run team likely "wouldn’t be a loser for long," as Limbaugh—who's a fan, not a football genius—would surely hire solid professionals and watch them turn the team around.
"It is possible that Limbaugh could be an effective owner," said Dawn Knight in The Washington Post, "and at 0-4, the Rams obviously need something to change." But "to me, football is like church, and I'm for the separation of church and state." I wouldn't want a scrappy liberal like James Carville to own a team—and I suspect that "Limbaugh's strong political views" could "have a negative impact on the team, at least at first."
That's putting it mildly, said CBSSports.com columnist Mike Freeman, also in The Washington Post. This is a man who once said NFL games look like Bloods vs. Crips, without weapons, and that slavery had its merits. And his last flirtation with football—as an ESPN commentator—ended in disaster when he said that Donovan McNabb was overrated because the media "has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well." Oh, well, at least if Limbaugh gets a team, those of us who write about football will have plenty of material.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- You're reheating pizza wrong
- The dumb war in Syria will haunt Democrats' 2014 prospects
Subscribe to the Week