"Even if you've only read Playboy for the articles in the past," said Tracy Pepey in iVillage, you'll want to check out the nudity in the November issue—"cartoon mama Marge Simpson will appear naked(!) on the mag's cover." To celebrate The Simpsons' 20th anniversary, "Homer's honey" will do an interview and a three-page pictorial. No centerfold, though—Marge is "too classy" for that.
She'll still be flashing a lot of yellow, said Hanh Nguyen in Zap2it. Maybe too much. "We love Marge, but sexualizing her? That just seems wrong somehow."
You're not the only one who'll be "cringing," said Sky News. Bart and Lisa are bound to be mortified. And "Homer is sure to get a ribbing when he next goes down to Moe's Tavern for a glass of Duff with his mates."
Marge Simpson will generate a lot of publicity for her show, and for Playboy, said Mike Bruno in Entertainment Weekly. But a cartoon gimmick won't save Playboy. One stunt won't change the fact that the old-school nudie magazine's "airbrushed centerfold spreads have been supplanted by the Internet’s ability to offer every flavor of naked lady known to man (as well as fetish flavors unknown to most men)."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Here are the people who want to take a one way trip to Mars
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week