GOOD DAY FOR: A golden opportunity, after unknown parties mounted an attack on the U.S. dollar by planting a story in a British newspaper about Mideast oil states plotting with Russia and China to abandon the greenback. Gold traders are the primary suspect, since they had the most to gain from the resulting massive selloff in the dollar and buying of gold. (Politico in Yahoo! News)
BAD DAY FOR: A smooth upper lip, after a study by Quicken and the American Mustache Institute found that mustached Americans earn 4.3 percent more than their clean-faced peers, and 8.2 percent more than those sporting beards. The study also found, however, that mustache wearers spend 11 percent more and save 3 percent less than their colleagues. (Reuters)
Thursday: Good day for French fries; Bad day for Olympic flames
Wednesday: Good day for Foster’s Beer; Bad day for originality
Tuesday: Good day for quality control; Bad day for positive reinforcement
Monday: Good day for Norwegians, bad day for foodies
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- The constant struggle of running a family farm in 21st century America
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- How to stop misogynists from terrorizing the world of gamers
Subscribe to the Week