GOOD DAY FOR: A golden opportunity, after unknown parties mounted an attack on the U.S. dollar by planting a story in a British newspaper about Mideast oil states plotting with Russia and China to abandon the greenback. Gold traders are the primary suspect, since they had the most to gain from the resulting massive selloff in the dollar and buying of gold. (Politico in Yahoo! News)
BAD DAY FOR: A smooth upper lip, after a study by Quicken and the American Mustache Institute found that mustached Americans earn 4.3 percent more than their clean-faced peers, and 8.2 percent more than those sporting beards. The study also found, however, that mustache wearers spend 11 percent more and save 3 percent less than their colleagues. (Reuters)
Thursday: Good day for French fries; Bad day for Olympic flames
Wednesday: Good day for Foster’s Beer; Bad day for originality
Tuesday: Good day for quality control; Bad day for positive reinforcement
Monday: Good day for Norwegians, bad day for foodies
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- Is the Christian music industry liberalizing on gay marriage?
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Congress' craven approach toward the war on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week