OOD DAY FOR: A golden opportunity, after unknown parties mounted an attack on the U.S. dollar by planting a story in a British newspaper about Mideast oil states plotting with Russia and China to abandon the greenback. Gold traders are the primary suspect, since they had the most to gain from the resulting massive selloff in the dollar and buying of gold. (Politico in Yahoo! News)
BAD DAY FOR: A smooth upper lip, after a study by Quicken and the American Mustache Institute found that mustached Americans earn 4.3 percent more than their clean-faced peers, and 8.2 percent more than those sporting beards. The study also found, however, that mustache wearers spend 11 percent more and save 3 percent less than their colleagues. (Reuters)
Thursday: Good day for French fries; Bad day for Olympic flames
Wednesday: Good day for Foster’s Beer; Bad day for originality
Tuesday: Good day for quality control; Bad day for positive reinforcement
Monday: Good day for Norwegians, bad day for foodies
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Can Rand Paul avoid the Neville Chamberlain trap?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- To build the Death Star, we'll need this space elevator
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
Subscribe to the Week