Bloomberg LP is buying BusinessWeek for a reported $2 million to $5 million, said Tom Lowry in BusinessWeek. In 2000, BusinessWeek was valued at up to $1 billion, but the 80-year-old magazine was “particularly hard hit by the Great Recession” and is now a money-loser for publisher McGraw-Hill. New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg and Harold McGraw III are friends, but that doesn’t explain this “unprecedented” breach of Bloomberg LP’s “‘build, don’t buy’ culture.”
Right, “the deal doesn’t make sense” for Bloomberg, said Jon Friedman in MarketWatch. BusinessWeek has “dim prospects,” at least in the near-term, as it and the broader magazine business struggle financially—see Condé Nast’s closure of Gourmet and other titles—and in terms of relevance. “You’d hate to conclude” that the purchase is driven by “a desire to satisfy an executive’s ego.”
It more likely “signals a wider journalistic ambition” at Bloomberg, said Stephanie Clifford in The New York Times. Bloomberg “is a force among finance professionals,” but not so much with corporate executives. BusinessWeek gives it a “toehold” among those high-power readers, and lets it take on rival Dow Jones, which “dominates” that niche with The Wall Street Journal, Barron’s, and SmartMoney.
“We believe BusinessWeek will be in good hands with Bloomberg and could even stage a comeback,” said Ben Parr in Mashable. But even so, it’s a “sad day for the once-venerable print industry” that one of its “once-mighty” institutions was “sold for essentially peanuts.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week