“The GOP must be wondering: With members like these, who needs Democrats?” said Investor’s Business Daily in an editorial. When Sen. Olympia Snowe voted for the “abominable Baucus health care overhaul,” she crossed one of the Republican Party’s “lines in the sand”—a Republican simply can’t support the Democrats on health care and “still say he or she’s for small, or limited, government.” Snowe is now “a big problem” for the GOP. (Watch Snowe compare health care to the Titanic)
And the GOP is more than just “annoyed,” said Matthew Yglesias in Think Progress. Snowe’s Republican colleagues are weighing whether to deny her the party's top slot on the powerful Senate Commerce Committee as punishment for breaking ranks. Democrats, take note: “The Republicans do this the right way.” The Senate GOP caucus acts like a political organization, enforcing party unity; the Democrats act like “a fun country club trying to recruit members.”
Speculation about GOP retaliation might be a bit overblown, said Chris Frates in Politico. After all, it’s not the first time Olympia Snowe has voted against her party. But even if there is some retribution, Snowe’s “yes” vote—and negotiating “prowess”—has won her “tremendous leverage” with Democrats and the White House, which gives her more power at this point anyway.
If GOP leaders won’t act, ordinary Republicans have to, said Erick Erickson in RedState. Snowe hasn’t only sold out the GOP, she’s “sold out the country,” and we must “melt her. What melts snow? Rock salt.” So let’s send her bags of rock salt as a “visible demonstration of our contempt for her.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
Subscribe to the Week