OOD DAY FOR: Recycling, after a homeless Russian man earned a small fortune digging through the trash for glass bottles. Leonid Konovalov, 63, told Russian tabloid Tvoi Den that over the past year he collected about 2,000 bottles a day—each bottle can be traded in for about 6 cents. “Russians are drinking a little bit more due to the crisis, and this helped me get out of the rubbish dump,” said Konovalov. He now trades stocks. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Asking for a raise, after pay cuts, sometimes accompanied by downgrades in job title, are at their highest levels since the Great Depression. Georgia state workers, California state university workers, and some employees of Hewlett-Packard and several airlines are among the growing number of workers hit by pay cuts. (The New York Times)
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Black Death is back
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Watch Fox News' Megyn Kelly claim Santa, like Jesus, is a white guy
- How Arrow became the best superhero show on television
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
Subscribe to the Week