"Meghan McCain is threatening to pull a Miley Cyrus and quit Twitter!" said Jessica Wakeman in The Frisky. "Meanie commenters got a little too vicious with the senator’s daughter after she posted a Twitpic" showing her holding a book and wearing a tank top that revealed major cleavage. After a flood of rude comments, McCain tweeted, "So I took a fun picture not thinking anything about what I was wearing, but apparently anything other than a pantsuit and I am a slut."
It is "absurd" for McCain to be playing the victim card, said Robert Stacy McCain in The Other McCain. She is "heiress to a fortune and the daughter of a powerful U.S. senator. She is also spoiled rotten and arrogant, lecturing the world at Tina Brown's Daily Beast without any more qualification than her family name and an Ivy League diploma." If she occasionally has to take some criticism, too bad.
It's amazing that she's getting grief over this, said Kevin Aylward in Wizbang Pop! This is a photo of a young woman relaxing at home, nothing more. "Count us among the silent, non-offended majority!"
Before finishing a night of rapid-fire tweeting, said CNN's Politicalticker blog, Meghan McCain promised to sleep on it before doing anything as drastic as deleting her Twitter account. But she did get something out of the controversy—with all eyes on her, the 24-year-old who tweets as McCainblogette signed off for the night with a plug for her latest column at The Daily Beast.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- The impossible promise at the heart of Scotland's campaign for independence
Subscribe to the Week