OOD DAY FOR: Universal surfage, after Finland became the first nation to name broadband Internet access as legal right. Finland already has 95 percent Internet connectivity, but come July 2010, every citizen will be connected at no less than 1 megabit per second. “We think it’s something you cannot live without in modern society,” said communications ministry official Laura Vilkkonen, “like banking services or water or electricity.” (CNN)
BAD DAY FOR: Filling the Hummer, after the Defense Department said it spends about $400 per gallon of fuel to fill combat vehicles and aircraft in Afghanistan. The cost is so high because the fuel has to be trucked or flown in from Pakistan, and some fuel is lost to roadside bombs. “It is a number that we were not aware of and it is worrisome,” Rep. John Murtha (D, Pa.). (The Hill)
Thursday: Good day for Rupert Murdoch, Bad day for shopaholism
Wednesday: Good day for recycling, Bad day for asking for a raise
Tuesday: Good day for second chances, Bad day for thinking small
Monday: Good day for spiritual growth, Bad day for a reliable sidekick
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week