GOOD DAY FOR: Taking a big cut, after a lock of hair believed to have been snipped from Elvis Presley’s head as he entered the army sold for $15,000 at an Elvis-themed auction in Chicago. The highest draw was a white shirt monogramed with EP, which sold for $52,000. (Chicago Tribune)
BAD DAY FOR: Business casual, after the government of the Maldives islands held a cabinet meeting under water to bring attention to climate change, which is threatening to raise sea levels above the island. The Maldives, at 7 feet elevation, is the lowest-elevation country in the world. President Mohammed Nasheed and 13 cabinet ministers put on scuba gear and sat at underwater desks. (AP in Yahoo! News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Why TheWeek.com is closing the comments section
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
Subscribe to the Week