GOOD DAY FOR: Taking a big cut, after a lock of hair believed to have been snipped from Elvis Presley’s head as he entered the army sold for $15,000 at an Elvis-themed auction in Chicago. The highest draw was a white shirt monogramed with EP, which sold for $52,000. (Chicago Tribune)
BAD DAY FOR: Business casual, after the government of the Maldives islands held a cabinet meeting under water to bring attention to climate change, which is threatening to raise sea levels above the island. The Maldives, at 7 feet elevation, is the lowest-elevation country in the world. President Mohammed Nasheed and 13 cabinet ministers put on scuba gear and sat at underwater desks. (AP in Yahoo! News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: July 25, 2014
Subscribe to the Week