OOD DAY FOR: Taking a big cut, after a lock of hair believed to have been snipped from Elvis Presley’s head as he entered the army sold for $15,000 at an Elvis-themed auction in Chicago. The highest draw was a white shirt monogramed with EP, which sold for $52,000. (Chicago Tribune)
BAD DAY FOR: Business casual, after the government of the Maldives islands held a cabinet meeting under water to bring attention to climate change, which is threatening to raise sea levels above the island. The Maldives, at 7 feet elevation, is the lowest-elevation country in the world. President Mohammed Nasheed and 13 cabinet ministers put on scuba gear and sat at underwater desks. (AP in Yahoo! News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is American internet so slow?
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
Subscribe to the Week