The Balloon Boy hoax is undeniably news now: Falcon Heene’s parents -- who reportedly planned the stunt two weeks in advance -- are facing criminal charges. But the question remains: Why did the TV news channels cover a runaway silver balloon for endless hours last Thursday with so few facts to report? (Watch part of Fox News' early reporting)
Reality TV has rotted media standards: The networks’ decision to wring melodrama out of the Heene family’s fears and unsubstantiated claims, says Frazier Moore of The Associated Press, is "endemic of the more and more seductive urge to dismiss truth, responsibility and other traditional values in favor of hustling for fame."
‘Balloon Boy’ reminder that TV is full of shams
Ratings trump ethics: "This wasn't really about journalism as an ethical construct, but journalism as a business," says David Folkenflik of National Public Radio. And the transfixing image of the careening, possibly deadly mylar balloon was a good sell: "Humans being human, we wanted to watch. And the cable news executives were desperate to help us stay glued to their channels."
Balloon Boy’s transfixing effect on the media
Non-news? Is there any other kind anymore? Especially in the age of Twitter, says Diane Mermigas on True/Slant, expedient gossip has replaced cautious reporting: "We are hopelessly caught up in a vortex of high-pitched overblown, overdone, non-news that encourages the savvy ... to use other people, social media and the press to advance their own agenda."
Balloon Boy Underscores Media Folly: We’re All Digitally Duped
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week