Gay fans of Adam Lambert are in for a shock, said Queerty.com. The American Idol star, who came out as gay earlier this year, is pictured in this month's Details magazine cavorting with a naked female model. "Things have never looked straighter" for the Lambert, which is "bizarre" for a "gay man featured in a gay magazine." The "much buzzed-about spread" will no doubt provoke some "gay shrieks," but it's all good publicity for Lambert's new album—"this is how you get people talking!"
"Adam, why are you going along with this?" said Brian Moylan in Gawker.com. Details has always been "obviously gay," but has a "closet mentality" that seems to have "rubbed off" on Lambert. The "awkward" photo shoot is "very heterosexual" but not exactly convincing. The pop star was praised for coming out, and "now is not the time to be ashamed" of it. "Say it loud, you're queer and you're proud."
But this "racy hetero shoot" is a "big bone to toss to Lambert's female fans," said RandomizeMe.com. Lambert's management clearly "wants to position Adam to be more than just a 'gay' entertainer." It worked for Neil Patrick Harris, the gay star of How I Met Your Mother, "who can also play hetero on TV." And besides, Lambert's fans—gay or female—can agree on one thing: "Adam looks hotttt!"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week