"Somewhere Perez Hilton is laughing his blue hair green," said Don Surber in the Charleston, W.V., Daily Mail. Former Miss California Carrie Prejean has been gossip fodder since she shocked the openly gay Hilton—a gossip columnist and Miss USA judge—with her outspoken opposition to gay marriage. Now the people who run the Miss California USA beauty pageant are suing to recover the $5,200 they say they shelled out to pay for Carrie Prejean's breast implants.
The text of the lawsuit over Carrie Prejean and her breast implants seems straightforward enough, said Duncan Riley in The Inquisitr. It says the $5,200 was a loan—"but then it just gets bizarre." Prejean has sued the pageant for stripping her of her Miss California crown, which she said was a reaction to her religious beliefs. The pageant's countersuit says, "Had [Prejean] heeded the guidance of the Gospel of John, who admonished only those who are without sin to cast stones in judgment, she might have avoided this legal battle."
The Miss California USA pageant's organizers—K2 Productions—have a long list of complaints, said Hunter Walker in Gawker, in the Carrie Prejean breast implants lawsuit. They say the former Miss California violated her contract by missing events, lying about the existence of semi-nude photos of her, and using "her title to support the National Organization for Marriage's 'campaign of intolerance' against gay marriage." But even if K2 gets its money, it can't really hurt Prejean—"by suing her, they're just helping her cultivate the religious martyr status that's landing her speaking gigs at right-wing events and morning show appearances on Fox News."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
Subscribe to the Week