"No, this isn’t an Onion headline"—former President George W. Bush is making his debut as a motivational speaker, said Robert Quigley in Mediaite. Bush will be speaking at two of Zig Ziglar's Get Motivated! events in Texas, along with Colin Powell, Rudy Giuliani, and Terry Bradshaw. Even at just $19 a pop, "it appears that tickets are still available!"
Okay, so Zig Ziglar's famous sales motivation seminars "might not seem the logical place for George W. Bush to launch the Bush Legacy Project tour," said Wayne Slater in The Dallas Morning News. But the "Get Motivated! business seminars are glossy affairs"—they're "part pep rally, part Christian revival meeting for salespeople who want to up their game." Maybe Bush just "feels comfortable headlining a daylong bacchanalia of patriotism, inspiration, success stories and sales tips."
Former President George W. Bush certainly "has inspired a lot of people in recent years," said John D. McKinnon in The Wall Street Journal. Sure, he inspired some to "vote for Democrats," and the Left is predictably lampooning Bush's appearances "as a sign of how low the former president has fallen." Still, there's a logic to this match—Zig Ziglar's "Get Motivated! attracts a striver demographic that has always had a lot of affinity for Bush."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- What if The Purge was real?
- Why I choose not to be rich
- Here's the last time Russia shot down a passenger plane
Subscribe to the Week