GOOD DAY FOR: Steve Jobs, as the Apple CEO earned $300 million Wednesday, at least on paper, after Apple’s stock rose to record levels on a positive earnings report, adding $120 million to Jobs’ portfolio, and Disney inched up 87 cents, earning him $120 million in paper profits. As of September, Jobs was the 43rd richest American, with a fortune of $5.1 billion. (Fortune)
BAD DAY FOR: Good taste, after Microsoft teamed up with Burger King in Japan to create the Windows 7 Whopper, a seven-patty behemoth that is 5.1 inches tall and costs 777 yen (about $8.50). Other Windows 7 promotions include giving a copy of the new operating system to every resident of the Dutch village Zevenhuizen (“Seven Houses”) and redecorating the Spanish town Sietes (“Sevens”). (Electronista, via The Inquisitr)
Wednesday: Good day for Carnegie Hall roadies, Bad day for financial wizardry
Tuesday: Good day for high finance, Bad day for fiscal responsibility
Monday: Good day for taking a big cut, Bad day for business casual
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week