OOD DAY FOR: Facebook’s ‘Mafia’ payout, as the social networking giant is starting to take a cut of Zynga’s increasingly profitable Facebook games “Mafia Wars” and “Farmville,” and Playfish’s “Pet Society.” The social-games market is expected to triple to $2 billion by 2012, according to ThinkEquity. More than 100,000 of Facebook’s 300 million users play games, and while they’re generally free, players can and do purchase virtual goods such as digital tractors or virtual weapons. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Arguing at work, after two Northwest Airlines pilots overshot their destination by 150 miles because, they say, they were fighting over airline policy. The plane turned around and landed safely in Minneapolis, after the pilots finally reestablished radio contact but before readied military jets scrambled to intercept the aircraft. The pilots were suspended, and federal officials are examining, among other things, if they fell asleep. (Minneapolis Star Tribune)
Thursday: Good day for Steve Jobs, Bad day for good taste
Wednesday: Good day for Carnegie Hall roadies, Bad day for financial wizardry
Tuesday: Good day for high finance, Bad day for fiscal responsibility
Monday: Good day for taking a big cut, Bad day for business casual
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- How Captain America won over China
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week