Results: Human Resources departments have been asking more personal questions in an attempt to screen out problem employees. We asked you to come up with the one, probing question that would really let a company know who it’s getting.
FIRST PRIZE: Are you willing to start at the bottom and... stay there?
Kathy Haddox, Washington, MO
SECOND PRIZE: Complete this sentence: “Star Trek is ______________.”
Konstantine Diamond, Manhattan Beach, CA
THIRD PRIZE: How do you feel about working as hard as ever, making less money, and earning fewer benefits?
Jeff Way, Beachwood, NJ
How often do you bring your Uzi to work?
Janet Gill, Paso Robles, Ca. (and others)
Why are your clothes on backwards?"
Lillian Henning, Nantucket, MA
Is your best friend real or imaginary?
Catherine Lonsway, Coos Bay, OR
Do you think the comic "Dilbert” is funny?
Paul Rabis, Eugene, OR
How many tweets have you posted since we started this interview?
Jaime Batiz, Campbell CA
How about we take a look at your Facebook profile?
Lori Butterworth, Soquel, CA
If you were an office supply, what would you be?
Danielle Loustau-Williams, Pittsburgh
Can you bake cookies?
Marcia Morrison, Easthamton, MA
How flexible are your ethics?
Linda Verwey, Tannersville, PA
Fox News or PBS?
Tim Savage, Rock Springs, WY
Fries or Fruit Cup?
Erika Elrod, Raleigh, NC
Waylon Smithers or Homer Simpson?”
Sanjay K. Vanguri, Frederick, MD
How often do you feel like attacking the boss with a meat cleaver?
Steve Kaplan, St Louis Park, MN
When you wake up in the morning, do you know where you are?
Joseph L. Bolea, Newark, De.
Why did you bring your mom to this interview?
Daisy Michael, Westminster, MD
I know we haven't hired you yet, but can you work late tonight?
Gary Hennion, New York City
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- The week's best photojournalism
Subscribe to the Week