America’s loose morals contribute to the rise of al Qaida, said the Archdiocese of Guam in a pastoral letter (via Andrew Sullivan in The Atlantic). Islamic extremists can point to real evils in America, such as the prevalence in many states of homosexual marriages, to recruit more terrorists. It "makes no sense" for the U.S. to send "our boys" from Guam over to Afghanistan to fight al Qaida while, back home, the Obama administration promotes the gay agenda. Sad to say, "the Islamic fundamentalist charge that Western civilization in general and the USA in particular is the 'Great Satan' is not without an element of truth."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
Subscribe to the Week