America’s loose morals contribute to the rise of al Qaida, said the Archdiocese of Guam in a pastoral letter (via Andrew Sullivan in The Atlantic). Islamic extremists can point to real evils in America, such as the prevalence in many states of homosexual marriages, to recruit more terrorists. It "makes no sense" for the U.S. to send "our boys" from Guam over to Afghanistan to fight al Qaida while, back home, the Obama administration promotes the gay agenda. Sad to say, "the Islamic fundamentalist charge that Western civilization in general and the USA in particular is the 'Great Satan' is not without an element of truth."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
Subscribe to the Week