America’s loose morals contribute to the rise of al Qaida, said the Archdiocese of Guam in a pastoral letter (via Andrew Sullivan in The Atlantic). Islamic extremists can point to real evils in America, such as the prevalence in many states of homosexual marriages, to recruit more terrorists. It "makes no sense" for the U.S. to send "our boys" from Guam over to Afghanistan to fight al Qaida while, back home, the Obama administration promotes the gay agenda. Sad to say, "the Islamic fundamentalist charge that Western civilization in general and the USA in particular is the 'Great Satan' is not without an element of truth."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
Subscribe to the Week