America’s loose morals contribute to the rise of al Qaida, said the Archdiocese of Guam in a pastoral letter (via Andrew Sullivan in The Atlantic). Islamic extremists can point to real evils in America, such as the prevalence in many states of homosexual marriages, to recruit more terrorists. It "makes no sense" for the U.S. to send "our boys" from Guam over to Afghanistan to fight al Qaida while, back home, the Obama administration promotes the gay agenda. Sad to say, "the Islamic fundamentalist charge that Western civilization in general and the USA in particular is the 'Great Satan' is not without an element of truth."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
Subscribe to the Week