lready controversial for saying a GOP health care plan would amount to telling sick people to "die quickly," freshman Rep. Alan Grayson (D-FL) has created yet another stir by referring to Fed adviser Linda Robertson as a "K Street whore." He has apologized, but how bad was the damage to his reputation?
Alan Grayson is now officially a nut: Democrats may have chuckled at Grayson’s previous antics, says Marc Ambinder in The Atlantic, but he crossed a line with the remark about Linda Robertson. "This one will probably stick."
"Grayson Says Something Offensive ... For Real This Time"
He was irresponsible -- even if he was making a legitimate point: It’s important to remember that Grayson was appearing on "wack-job conspiracy theorist" radio show, says Gabriel Winant in Salon. So even if Grayson did have a "kernel of a point" in saying that "the Fed is in hock to the business lobby," he needed to be much more circumspect in his language. "Making the point in such red-meat language, to such an audience, encourages paranoid, and often scary, ideas."
"Rep. Alan Grayson goes a comment too far"
Kudos to Grayson for speaking an uncomfortable truth: The congressman from Florida "hit the nail on the head," says Howie Klein in The Huffington Post. After all, Robertson "shills for whoever pays her." The reason there’s such a furor is that "the characterization is a little too close for comfort" for many of Grayson’s Congressional colleagues.
"Alan Grayson Calls a Whore a Whore"
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Black Death is back
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Watch Fox News' Megyn Kelly claim Santa, like Jesus, is a white guy
- How Arrow became the best superhero show on television
- Millennial women have seriously narrowed the wage gap with men
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
Subscribe to the Week