SPN ombudsman Don Ohlmeyer has been strangely silent on the Steve Phillips sex scandal and the baseball analyst’s subsequent firing. Ohlmeyer, a sports broadcasting legend who was hired earlier this year, writes a monthly column for ESPN—he filed his latest dispatch on the day the Phillips scandal broke. Shouldn’t Ohlmeyer be doing more to restore ESPN’s credibility?
Ohlmeyer needs to speak up immediately: “Hey Don Ohlmeyer, how much longer are we going to have to wait?” ask the sports bloggers at The Big Lead. Ohlmeyer’s had a week to gather his thoughts on the incident, and “surely, he’s seen this kind of thing in his many years of television.”
“Where’s the ESPN Ombud on the Steve Phillips Saga?”
Blame ESPN, not Ohlmeyer: “None of this is Ohlmeyer’s fault, really,” says Katie Baker in Mediaite. ESPN is muffling his impact by limiting his column to once a month—that it fell on the day the Phillips scandal became public is an unfortunate coincidence—and “no doubt he operates within some preordained set of parameters.” The "Worldwide Leader" would be well advised to unbind “the truly impressive man” it hired as ombudsman.
“Why Is ESPN’s Ombudsman So Slow? Steve Phillips Gets Lucky”
Let’s have an independent investigation, please: ESPN’s response (or lack thereof) has been a “sad display,” says St. Petersburg Times media critic Eric Deggans. After all, scandals like this are why it hired an ombudsman. “Here’s hoping Ohlmeyer or someone with his leeway is given the chance to produce an independent report for ESPN.” That’s the best way to restore sanity and integrity to ESPN’s journalism.
“Time for ESPN ombudsman Don Ohlmeyer ... to better address Steve Phillips questions?”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
Subscribe to the Week