Claiming he’s "misunderstood," Jon Gosselin of the blockbuster reality series "Jon & Kate Plus 8" has been seeking spiritual guidance from fellow TLC star Rabbi Shmuley Boteach to repair his relationships and reputation. "[Jon’s] a man with a good heart who sincerely wants to correct…mistakes he's made," says the Rabbi, who is counseling Gosselin, 32, to stop dating 22-year-old Hailey Glassman. But does this exercise deserve to be taken seriously? (Watch Rabbi Shmuley Boteach call on Jon Gosselin at a panel)
This is about narcissism, not religion: Boteach is a "snake-oil salesman, and a publicity whore." In fact, "both of them" might be, says Foster Kamer at Gawker. "I'm not sure which behavior here begets the other, but whatever it is, wherever it comes from, this can't be good for The Kids, The Jews [or] Anybody Who's Ever Devoted Faith To Anything."
"John Gosselin's public shot at forgiveness with celebrity-obsessed Rabbi Shmuley"
If it’s for real, this consultation shouldn’t be happening in public: If the goal is to wean Jon Gosselin from his reckless addiction to fame, asks Vicki Hyman in the Newark Star-Ledger, "maybe [Boteach] should have continued Gosselin's counseling in private as opposed to this public gawkfest?"
"Jon Gosselin schmoozes with rabbi"
Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt: "Maybe it's just the Halloween vibe or something," says Maria Gonzalez at BuddyTV, "but it sounds as though Jon Gosselin is serious about finding his inner peace."
"Kate Plus 8: Jon Gosselin turns spiritual, apologizes to public"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How I lost all my money
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week