Claiming he’s "misunderstood," Jon Gosselin of the blockbuster reality series "Jon & Kate Plus 8" has been seeking spiritual guidance from fellow TLC star Rabbi Shmuley Boteach to repair his relationships and reputation. "[Jon’s] a man with a good heart who sincerely wants to correct…mistakes he's made," says the Rabbi, who is counseling Gosselin, 32, to stop dating 22-year-old Hailey Glassman. But does this exercise deserve to be taken seriously? (Watch Rabbi Shmuley Boteach call on Jon Gosselin at a panel)
This is about narcissism, not religion: Boteach is a "snake-oil salesman, and a publicity whore." In fact, "both of them" might be, says Foster Kamer at Gawker. "I'm not sure which behavior here begets the other, but whatever it is, wherever it comes from, this can't be good for The Kids, The Jews [or] Anybody Who's Ever Devoted Faith To Anything."
"John Gosselin's public shot at forgiveness with celebrity-obsessed Rabbi Shmuley"
If it’s for real, this consultation shouldn’t be happening in public: If the goal is to wean Jon Gosselin from his reckless addiction to fame, asks Vicki Hyman in the Newark Star-Ledger, "maybe [Boteach] should have continued Gosselin's counseling in private as opposed to this public gawkfest?"
"Jon Gosselin schmoozes with rabbi"
Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt: "Maybe it's just the Halloween vibe or something," says Maria Gonzalez at BuddyTV, "but it sounds as though Jon Gosselin is serious about finding his inner peace."
"Kate Plus 8: Jon Gosselin turns spiritual, apologizes to public"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
Subscribe to the Week