Verizon’s new Droid smartphone will hit the market later this week, driven by a massive advertising campaign featuring enormous electronic billboards in Times Square and the buzzy iPhone-bashing TV ad, "Droid Does." But Apple zealots have come fighting back with video parodies of the spot — some have been more successful than others:
• "iDon’t Care": This spoof earned a glowing review from the social media blog Mashable which calls it a "clever fan-generated retort to the original spot." Views to date: 250,000. Watch the "iDon't Care" video.
• "iDon’t care": A YouTube slacker laments his poor quality of life, revealing that he lacks a girlfriend and has no appetite for cheese, but saying nothing germane about smartphones. Views to date: 500. Watch the "iDon't care" video.
• "Droid Doesn’t": This amateur spot goes negative on Motorola and Verizon with slams like, "Droid doesn’t have 100,000 apps." Views to date: 200. View the "Droid Doesn't" video parody.
• "iDo": This user generated video touts the iPhone’s virtues in exclamatory ways: "iDo look better than any phone… ever!" Views to date: 100. Watch the energetically defensive "Ido" spoof.
• "Darth Vader’s iPhone": In this coincidentally ironic spot that predates Verizon’s ad, the Dark Lord raves about his iPhone ("Say you need to buy a Droid...there’s an app for that!") as he summons up a virtual R2D2 on his screen. Views to date: 43,000. Watch Darth Vader express his love for Apple’s smartphone.
SEE THE WEEK'S LATEST COVERAGE OF THE SMARTPHONE WARS:
• iPhone vs. Droid: Apple fights back
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How I lost all my money
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
Subscribe to the Week