ccording to Time to Eat the Dog: The Real Guide to Sustainable Living, a new book on climate change, dogs do more damage to our planet than SUVs—not to mention the average Vietnamese or Ethiopian—when you look at their environmental footprint. Here are the numbers.
Amount of land (in square feet) needed to produce the annual food requirement for:
• Large dog: 118,500
• Medium sized dog: 90,600
• Average Vietnamese citizen: 81,890
• Average Ethiopian citizen: 72,310
• Cat: 16,100
• Hamster: 1,500
• Goldfish: 36
Sources: Time to Eat the Dog, via New Scientist, Wired
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- The secrets of happy families
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Would you cuddle a stranger for $80 an hour?
- Did God have a wife?
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Why Republicans shouldn't get too excited over Obama's stumbles
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
Subscribe to the Week