ccording to Time to Eat the Dog: The Real Guide to Sustainable Living, a new book on climate change, dogs do more damage to our planet than SUVs—not to mention the average Vietnamese or Ethiopian—when you look at their environmental footprint. Here are the numbers.
Amount of land (in square feet) needed to produce the annual food requirement for:
• Large dog: 118,500
• Medium sized dog: 90,600
• Average Vietnamese citizen: 81,890
• Average Ethiopian citizen: 72,310
• Cat: 16,100
• Hamster: 1,500
• Goldfish: 36
Sources: Time to Eat the Dog, via New Scientist, Wired
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- How to make homemade marshmallow Peeps
Subscribe to the Week