A recent Gallup poll found that 71 percent of Republicans would consider voting for former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee in 2012 — compared with only 65 percent for his heavyweight rivals Mitt Romney and Sarah Palin. Is "Huck" officially the frontrunner for the GOP presidential nomination? (Watch Mike Huckabee deliver a September speech that criticizes the Obama administration)
Huckabee is building momentum: The governor-turned-Fox News host "should be considered the early favorite" for 2012 says Alexander Mooney on CNN. Building on his "consistent" success in the polls, Huckabee is embarking on a book tour through "some of the country’s most conservative townships" that should help shore up that base, especially in "politically important Iowa."
"Huckabee suggests Palin double standard"
Gallop's poll under-represents Palin's base: Huckabee could interview "live extraterrestrials" on Fox and still receive only a "fraction" of the "sustained media attention" lavished on his rival Sarah Palin, says Dr Zero at Hot Air. Palin, who also has a new book to promote, has shown a "willingness to take risks" and "stand her ground under fire." Sorry Mike, but "those are qualities Republican voters will be looking for."
"The Palin qualifications"
Huckabee can't raise money "at this level": Polls don't matter, says Max Twain at Race42012.com, given Huckabee's “inability” to raise funds. However charming, Huck will be a "tough sell" to GOP voters in 2012 when he'll have to face the "billion dollar Obama Machine."
"Power rankings: November"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week