GOOD DAY FOR: Ordering the falafel, after Russian police arrested three homeless men for selling human flesh to a kabob house. The men allegedly butchered and ate a 25-year-old man in Perm, 720 miles east of Moscow, then sold the remains to a kiosk selling kabob and pies. It is unclear if any customers ate the human remains. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: The land of opportunity, as Mexican families have started sending pesos north of the border to help struggling relatives living, legally or illegally, in the U.S. Unemployment has hit migrant workers at a much higher rate than the general population. “We send something whenever we have a little extra, at least enough so he can eat,” said Oaxaca resident Miguel Salcedo of his son in San Diego. (The New York Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- Will the Higgs Boson destroy the universe in a cosmic death bubble?
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
Subscribe to the Week