OOD DAY FOR: Ordering the falafel, after Russian police arrested three homeless men for selling human flesh to a kabob house. The men allegedly butchered and ate a 25-year-old man in Perm, 720 miles east of Moscow, then sold the remains to a kiosk selling kabob and pies. It is unclear if any customers ate the human remains. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: The land of opportunity, as Mexican families have started sending pesos north of the border to help struggling relatives living, legally or illegally, in the U.S. Unemployment has hit migrant workers at a much higher rate than the general population. “We send something whenever we have a little extra, at least enough so he can eat,” said Oaxaca resident Miguel Salcedo of his son in San Diego. (The New York Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- How Captain America won over China
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week