arah Palin is calling Newsweek "sexist" for fronting its latest issue with a photo of the former Alaska governor sporting tight running shorts, slamming the decision to run the "unfortunate" shot — originally snapped for a Runner's World article — as a predictable media stunt. Newsweek editor Jon Meacham defends the choice, calling it "the most interesting image available to us to illustrate the theme of the cover." Is Palin trying to fan the controversy to boost sales of her new book — or is she making a valid point?
Newsweek has sunk to a new low: Meacham and his staff have managed to be "biased and sexist at the same time," says David Brody in CBN.com. "Quite a feat." No magazine would dream of treating a male former governor this way — "where's the sexy photo of Mitt Romney?" Of course, Newsweek has a history of portraying conservative woman as "nuts and dopey," while showcasing female liberals as "heroes of the next generation."
"Newsweek photo of Palin shows media bias and sexism"
Palin demeaned herself first: Sarah Palin brought this on herself, says Bob Cesca in his Awesome Blog, by trying to "ride the celebrity rocketship to the White House," as if substance and dignity didn't matter. If the "celebudoof" Palin "wants to be taken seriously, then she needs to [stop acting like] a winking airhead."
"The Sarah Palin reality show"
Come on. Palin loves the attention: Sarah Palin looks quite comfy in the pose, says Elizabeth Snead in the Los Angeles Times. "And seriously, it's not like she didn't play the sexy girl in those bright red Naughty Monkey shoes during the campaign." Palin should simmer down, and enjoy "the publicity she has been "trying so hard to get."
"Sarah Palin hates her 'sexist' Newsweek cover. Does she really?"
SEE THE WEEK'S LATEST COVERAGE OF SARAH PALIN:
• Grading Palin's Oprah interview
• Does the media hate Sarah Palin?
• Sarah Palin's sink or swim interview on Oprah
• Sarah Palin's 'whiny' book
• Sarah Palin vs. Levi Johnston
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The secrets of happy families
- Is the rent really too damn high?
- Antarctica recently experienced the coldest day in recorded history
- Americans are wealthier than ever*
- Godzilla: Watch the surprisingly grim trailer for the blockbuster reboot
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- President Obama snapped a selfie during Nelson Mandela's memorial service
Subscribe to the Week