OOD DAY FOR: Aging gracefully, after 46-year-old actor Johnny Depp was, suprisngly, named People’s 2009 Sexiest Man Alive. Depp joins George Clooney and Brad Pitt as the only men to have won the dubious honor twice. (People)
BAD DAY FOR: Cheap Coke, after wholesale-club chain Costco stopped carrying all Coca-Cola products amid a pricing dispute. As consumers cut back, tensions are rising between retailers who want to discount items and manufacturers who are trying to stay profitable. Still, in the Costco/Coke dispute, customers may not even notice the spat—Costco is not pulling Coke from its shelves, its just not ordering more “until the matter is resolved.” (AP in Yahoo Finance)
- Are differences in IQ to blame for income inequality?
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
- Watch The Daily Show pit Pope Francis against Fox News' 'War on Christmas'
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- How to dramatically improve your memory
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 10 things you need to know today: December 4, 2013
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- A short history of Popes sneaking out of the Vatican
- 10 works of literature that were exceptionally hard to write
Subscribe to the Week