GOOD DAY FOR: Aging gracefully, after 46-year-old actor Johnny Depp was, suprisngly, named People’s 2009 Sexiest Man Alive. Depp joins George Clooney and Brad Pitt as the only men to have won the dubious honor twice. (People)
BAD DAY FOR: Cheap Coke, after wholesale-club chain Costco stopped carrying all Coca-Cola products amid a pricing dispute. As consumers cut back, tensions are rising between retailers who want to discount items and manufacturers who are trying to stay profitable. Still, in the Costco/Coke dispute, customers may not even notice the spat—Costco is not pulling Coke from its shelves, its just not ordering more “until the matter is resolved.” (AP in Yahoo Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
Subscribe to the Week