GOOD DAY FOR: Aging gracefully, after 46-year-old actor Johnny Depp was, suprisngly, named People’s 2009 Sexiest Man Alive. Depp joins George Clooney and Brad Pitt as the only men to have won the dubious honor twice. (People)
BAD DAY FOR: Cheap Coke, after wholesale-club chain Costco stopped carrying all Coca-Cola products amid a pricing dispute. As consumers cut back, tensions are rising between retailers who want to discount items and manufacturers who are trying to stay profitable. Still, in the Costco/Coke dispute, customers may not even notice the spat—Costco is not pulling Coke from its shelves, its just not ordering more “until the matter is resolved.” (AP in Yahoo Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 10 soldiers welcomed home by very happy dogs
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week