OOD DAY FOR: Aging gracefully, after 46-year-old actor Johnny Depp was, suprisngly, named People’s 2009 Sexiest Man Alive. Depp joins George Clooney and Brad Pitt as the only men to have won the dubious honor twice. (People)
BAD DAY FOR: Cheap Coke, after wholesale-club chain Costco stopped carrying all Coca-Cola products amid a pricing dispute. As consumers cut back, tensions are rising between retailers who want to discount items and manufacturers who are trying to stay profitable. Still, in the Costco/Coke dispute, customers may not even notice the spat—Costco is not pulling Coke from its shelves, its just not ordering more “until the matter is resolved.” (AP in Yahoo Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 10 things you need to know today: March 7, 2014
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- The end of academic freedom?
Subscribe to the Week