OOD DAY FOR: Aging gracefully, after 46-year-old actor Johnny Depp was, suprisngly, named People’s 2009 Sexiest Man Alive. Depp joins George Clooney and Brad Pitt as the only men to have won the dubious honor twice. (People)
BAD DAY FOR: Cheap Coke, after wholesale-club chain Costco stopped carrying all Coca-Cola products amid a pricing dispute. As consumers cut back, tensions are rising between retailers who want to discount items and manufacturers who are trying to stay profitable. Still, in the Costco/Coke dispute, customers may not even notice the spat—Costco is not pulling Coke from its shelves, its just not ordering more “until the matter is resolved.” (AP in Yahoo Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week