The announcement that Khalid Sheik Mohammed and four other accused 9/11 terrorists will stand trial in New York City has Empire State politicians taking sides:
Mayor Michael Bloomberg
“I support the Obama Administration’s decision to prosecute 9/11 terrorists here,” says NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg. “It is fitting that 9/11 suspects face justice near the World Trade Center site where so many New Yorkers were murdered.”
The former New York senator says she has "no problem" with the having the 9/11 trials in New York, though she understands that they will be "a painful experience for the families of those who died."
Senator Schumer, a Democrat, supports having the trial in New York, but wants the city to be reimbursed for all costs. "America was attacked on Sept. 11. New York should not bear the burden," he says.
“Returning some of the Guantanamo detainees to New York City for trial, specifically Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, has now brought us full circle — we have regressed to a pre-9/11 mentality with respect to Islamic extremist terrorism,” says former mayor Rudy Giuliani. “Khalid Shaikh Mohammed should be treated like the war criminal he is and tried in a military court. He is not just another murderer, or even a mass murderer. He murdered as part of a declared war against us—America.”
"This is not a decision that I would have made.... New York was very much the epicenter of that attack," says New York Gov. David Paterson, a Democrat. "It's very painful; we're still having trouble getting over it. We still haven't been able to rebuild that site, and having those terrorists tried so close to the attack is going to be an encumbrance on all ... New Yorkers."
Rep. Peter King
"I am absolutely outraged by it," says Republican congressman Peter King. "There is absolutely no purpose to be gained by this. It's going to put Americans at risk." (Watch Peter King criticize the decision)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
Subscribe to the Week