"Is it bad parenting, or sheer brilliance, to take your parenting advice from a dog trainer?" That’s the question The New York Times posed last week in a report on parents who are borrowing techniques from Cesar Millan’s TV show The Dog Whisperer to raise their children. Critics scoff at the idea and argue that Millan’s techniques are damaging to dogs and tots alike. Are parents going crazy? (Watch Cesar Millan give a tutorial on how to tame a dog.)
Cesar has common-sense advice, for dogs or kids: "Our kids are emotional sponges" that "totally pick up on our energy," says Kay Krhin at The Minneapolis Star Tribune. So why not practice Millan’s "calm but assertive" parenting style on them? Millan also advocates 45 minutes of daily exercise—great advice for dogs and energetic kids alike. His approach "can be applied in many situations," so "why not parenting?"
"The Toddler Whisperer?"
Don’t throw out Dr. Spock just yet: For starters, Milian himself doesn’t endorse the idea of using his dog-rearing techniques on children, says Rachel Friedman at Dog Star Daily. Yes, there are some similarities between dogs and kids: Both “crave benevolent leadership”—and neither like being “pushed on the neck” or “sshhttted,” as Millan points out. But there are also “significant differences—on so many levels”—between human and dog development.
"Cesar Millan strikes the Sunday NY Times again"
Millan's approach is an antidote to 'helicopter' parenting: Millan actually brings some much-needed "sanity" to the debate, says Susan Stiffelman at AOL’s ParentDish. We've overparented and micromanaged our children for too long. Millan’s dog whispering is being heard by parents because it fits with the growing belief that kids "need a calm, confident parent who is willing to be what I call the captain of the ship in their lives—not a buddy or pal."
"Are Helicopter Parents Coming in for a Landing?"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
Subscribe to the Week