fter enduring a string of disses against its iPhone, Apple joined the month-long battle between Droid carrier, Verizon and iPhone carrier, AT&T this week — releasing two advertisements highlighting AT&T’s “simultaneous voice and data connection” capabilities, a feature Verizon’s network fails to offer. Is it wise for Apple to step in the ring? (Watch Apple's counter-attack spots here and also here)
Absolutely — AT&T needs the help: After AT&T dropped the ball by responding to Verizon's "There's a map for that" attack with their “lame” and “childish” Luke Wilson ad, says Jared Newman in PCWorld.com, Apple has wisely moved the debate in a “different direction." By dramatizing AT&T's "simultaneous voice and data" advantage, Apple gives customers “real-world examples” of why the iPhone carrier is superior.
“Apple iPhone Ad Succeeds where AT&T Fails”
These new Apple ads miss the mark: Apple's new spots fail to address AT&T customers main concerns such as dropped calls and poor 3G coverage, argues Derrell Etherington on The Apple Blog. To defeat the “clever work coming out of Verizon’s camp” the two companies are going to have to “get their acts together.” Here’s a quick tip: “A little Hodgman goes a long way.”
“New iPhone Ads from Apple Jab at Verizon”
This is just the beginning of the war: Apple had no choice but to join the fight, says Chris Matyszczyk on CNET.com, especially after Verizon “decided it would be fun” to explicitly attack the iPhone. Apple “doesn’t mention the Droid or Verizon by name” so far, but get ready: Before this bout comes to a close, we'll inevitably see “more [explicit] accusations, more bickering, and more attempted one-upmanship."
“New Apple ads to Verizon: Can Droid do this?”
SEE THE WEEK'S LATEST COVERAGE OF THE SMARTPHONE WARS:
• Droid Does...porn?
• Best and Worst Droid ad parodies
• The Droid's 'Stealth' war ad
• 'Droid Does': Going after iPhone
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Black Death is back
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Watch Fox News' Megyn Kelly claim Santa, like Jesus, is a white guy
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Millennial women have seriously narrowed the wage gap with men
- How Arrow became the best superhero show on television
- 5 surprising snubs from the Golden Globe nominations
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
Subscribe to the Week