dam Lambert's AMA performance—and the ABC network's decision to cut simulated male-on-male oral sex from it—continues to fuel controversy. Rival network CBS invited Lambert to address the scandal on its Early Show, but then it blurred images of Lambert kissing a male band member (while showing audiences a crystal-clear image of the Madonna-Britney Spears' girl-on-girl smooch at the 2003 Video Music Awards). Did CBS just validate Lambert's charges that the media is openly homophobic?
It was censorship and a missed opportunity: "There's obviously a double standard when it comes to gay male entertainers," says Jeremy Kinser, an editor at the gay magazine, The Advocate, as quoted on the "Extra" website. CBS decides to step in nobly after ABC canceled another Lambert performance (on Good Morning America), then behaves just as disciminatorily as ABC. That's "really hypocritical."
"CBS 'hypocritical' for blurring Lambert's kiss"
Showing Lambert's kiss was just too risky: “We gave this some real thought," says a CBS representative, as quoted in Entertainment Weekly. "The Madonna image is very familiar and has appeared countless times including many times on morning television. The controversial Adam Lambert image "has not been nearly as widely disseminated, and for all we know, may still lead to legal consequences.”
"CBS 'Early Show' stands by its decision to blur Adam Lambert kiss"
Feeling discriminated against, Mr. Lambert? Get in line: "There's a weird pecking order on television," says Zennie Abraham at the San Francisco Chronicle. "It's almost as rare to see a black man passionately kissing a white woman on television [as a gay kiss]." CBS "could do itself a favor and show the world as it is," but for now, "the straight white male ethic prevails."
SEE THE WEEK'S LATEST COVERAGE OF ADAM LAMBERT:
• Censoring Adam Lambert
• From sweet to sexual: An Adam Lambert video timeline
• Adam Lambert's risky CD cover
• Adam Lambert's 'Details' photo shoot
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- The case for killing law school
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: No matter what, broadcasters lose
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Putin's risky bet in eastern Ukraine
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
- 10 things you need to know today: April 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week