Adam Lambert's AMA performance—and the ABC network's decision to cut simulated male-on-male oral sex from it—continues to fuel controversy. Rival network CBS invited Lambert to address the scandal on its Early Show, but then it blurred images of Lambert kissing a male band member (while showing audiences a crystal-clear image of the Madonna-Britney Spears' girl-on-girl smooch at the 2003 Video Music Awards). Did CBS just validate Lambert's charges that the media is openly homophobic?
It was censorship and a missed opportunity: "There's obviously a double standard when it comes to gay male entertainers," says Jeremy Kinser, an editor at the gay magazine, The Advocate, as quoted on the "Extra" website. CBS decides to step in nobly after ABC canceled another Lambert performance (on Good Morning America), then behaves just as disciminatorily as ABC. That's "really hypocritical."
"CBS 'hypocritical' for blurring Lambert's kiss"
Showing Lambert's kiss was just too risky: “We gave this some real thought," says a CBS representative, as quoted in Entertainment Weekly. "The Madonna image is very familiar and has appeared countless times including many times on morning television. The controversial Adam Lambert image "has not been nearly as widely disseminated, and for all we know, may still lead to legal consequences.”
"CBS 'Early Show' stands by its decision to blur Adam Lambert kiss"
Feeling discriminated against, Mr. Lambert? Get in line: "There's a weird pecking order on television," says Zennie Abraham at the San Francisco Chronicle. "It's almost as rare to see a black man passionately kissing a white woman on television [as a gay kiss]." CBS "could do itself a favor and show the world as it is," but for now, "the straight white male ethic prevails."
SEE THE WEEK'S LATEST COVERAGE OF ADAM LAMBERT:
• Censoring Adam Lambert
• From sweet to sexual: An Adam Lambert video timeline
• Adam Lambert's risky CD cover
• Adam Lambert's 'Details' photo shoot
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why insects are the future of food
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
Subscribe to the Week