BC and several of its local affiliates declined to air an anti-meat commercial from the animal rights group PETA during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, citing network "standards" and a violation of "the spirit of the parade." The PETA spot features a young girl offering thanks for "the turkey farms where they pack [the turkeys] into dark, tiny little sheds for their whole lives." The commercial concludes by urging viewers to "go vegan." Was PETA's message unfairly suppressed? (Watch the controversial commercial for yourself)
Yes — people have a right to know the truth: NBC rejected our ad even though "it contains nothing graphic," says PETA on Opposing Views. People need to know that 45 million turkeys are killed "to disgrace Thanksgiving tables" every year. If you want a "festive centerpiece" that isn't a "stuffed avian body cavity," then buy some "faux turkey" and use this Thanksgiving to "pledge to go vegan."
"NBC nixes family-friendly Thanksgiving Day Parade ad"
Enough with the shock tactics, PETA: I'm entirely supportive of PETA's vegetarian philosophy, says Matthew McDermott on Treehugger, but they need to cut out the "shock tactics." The goal should be to "get a message across and influence" meat-eaters, not "drive people away." If they keep up this "shame & blame" act, they will "cultivate" the public impression that they are "animal rights wacko[s]"
"PETA ad tells the truth about factory farmed turkey"
Enough with the censorship, NBC: PETA's spot is "simple and effective and presents a cogent argument" against the poultry industry — and that's precisely "why it got banned," says Daniel Dominguez at Manolith. The commercial isn't a "war on Thanksgiving," but rather a "war on intentionally staying ignorant." As a confirmed "meat eater," I have no intention of going vegan -- but "it is important to be aware of what you are consuming."
"PETA has Thanksgiving and you"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bill O'Reilly: Obama's comedy is unpresidential, because Abe Lincoln
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
Subscribe to the Week