olf superstar Tiger Woods—dogged by rumors of sexual infidelity since his mysterious car crash—has posted a new message on his website admitting to "transgressions," namely that he has wronged his wife and let down his family. Woods says he's "dismayed" at the intense "tabloid scrutiny" he and his wife, Elin Nordegren, have faced, and asks that they be allowed keep their personal life private. Should the media back off? (Watch a Fox discussion about Tiger Woods' media silence)
Even cheating celebrities have rights: "Tiger’s right," says Adam Ostrow in Mashable. "While we’ve come to expect a certain level of transparency from companies, brands, and even public figures thanks to social media, it’s not our God-given right to know what Tiger does in his personal life."
"Tiger Woods and the destruction of personal privacy"
Woods threw away his own privacy: Tiger Woods has only himself to blame, says William A. Jacobson in Legal Insurrection. He trampled his own privacy rights the second he texted his first intimate message to another woman. "Next time Mr. Privacy wants privacy, he should remember that sexting is not 'off the record.'" Also indiscreet: "Leaving voice messages asking your mistress to expect a call from your wife."
"Tiger hit on head by himself"
Leave the man alone for his family's sake: Yes, Tiger Woods behaved like a "skank," says Quin Hillyer in The American Spectator. But prying into this sordid affair also violates the privacy of Woods' innocent wife and children. Anyone who tramples on their rights in such a difficult time is even "skankier."
"Leave Tiger alone"
SEE THE WEEK'S LATEST ON TIGER WOODS:
• From Taiwan: A CGI 'reenactment' of Tiger Woods domestic dispute
• The Tiger Woods scandal grows
• Tiger Woods' sex scandal?
• Who is Rachel Uchitel? A timeline of the alleged mistress's life
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Captain America won over China
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week