Golf superstar Tiger Woods—dogged by rumors of sexual infidelity since his mysterious car crash—has posted a new message on his website admitting to "transgressions," namely that he has wronged his wife and let down his family. Woods says he's "dismayed" at the intense "tabloid scrutiny" he and his wife, Elin Nordegren, have faced, and asks that they be allowed keep their personal life private. Should the media back off? (Watch a Fox discussion about Tiger Woods' media silence)
Even cheating celebrities have rights: "Tiger’s right," says Adam Ostrow in Mashable. "While we’ve come to expect a certain level of transparency from companies, brands, and even public figures thanks to social media, it’s not our God-given right to know what Tiger does in his personal life."
"Tiger Woods and the destruction of personal privacy"
Woods threw away his own privacy: Tiger Woods has only himself to blame, says William A. Jacobson in Legal Insurrection. He trampled his own privacy rights the second he texted his first intimate message to another woman. "Next time Mr. Privacy wants privacy, he should remember that sexting is not 'off the record.'" Also indiscreet: "Leaving voice messages asking your mistress to expect a call from your wife."
"Tiger hit on head by himself"
Leave the man alone for his family's sake: Yes, Tiger Woods behaved like a "skank," says Quin Hillyer in The American Spectator. But prying into this sordid affair also violates the privacy of Woods' innocent wife and children. Anyone who tramples on their rights in such a difficult time is even "skankier."
"Leave Tiger alone"
SEE THE WEEK'S LATEST ON TIGER WOODS:
• From Taiwan: A CGI 'reenactment' of Tiger Woods domestic dispute
• The Tiger Woods scandal grows
• Tiger Woods' sex scandal?
• Who is Rachel Uchitel? A timeline of the alleged mistress's life
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
Subscribe to the Week