Jenny Sanford announced on Friday that she is filing to divorce her husband, South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, nearly six months after he confessed to an affair with a woman in Argentina. Mrs. Sanford moved out of the governor's mansion shortly after the scandal broke, and has been living in the family's beach house with her four sons. Both she and Gov. Sanford -- who escaped impeachment just days ago -- had said there was a chance they would stay together. Is Jenny Sanford doing the right thing? (Watch Barbara Walters discuss her recent interview with Jenny Sanford)
Yes -- other wronged spouses should do the same: Good for Jenny Sanford, says Rachel Neva in Gather.com. "I'm sick of all these women getting cheated on and staying with their husbands to get a better paycheck or to keep the husband's image intact. These women are humiliated by their husbands' actions and words and need to stand up for themselves."
"Jenny Sanford, wife of South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford, files for divorce"
What's right for Jenny Sanford isn't right for everybody: Jenny Sanford deserves praise "for offering a new path for the publicly 'wronged wife,'" says Anna North in Jezebel. But that doesn't mean we should "heap more shame" on wives who choose to stick with "famous philanderers" by saying that Mrs. Sanford's path is the only way to live with "dignity and integrity." There's nothing undignified about staying and trying to save your marriage.
"Jenny "Most Fascinating" Sanford files for divorce"
Jenny Sanford has bounced back -- it's Mark you should worry about: Jenny Sanford is "doing a lot better than Mark these days," says Mary C. Curtis in Politics Daily. She made Barbara Walter's list of the "10 Most Fascinating People of 2009," and landed a book deal. Mark Sanford's big victory was escaping impeachment -- although he was censured for "bringing 'ridicule, dishonor, disgrace and shame' on his office." She's no longer the "wronged wife muddling through" -- but he's still lost.
"Divorce and the changing fortunes of Mark and Jenny Sanford"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Eric Holder blew it as attorney general. His replacement will, too,
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 10 innovative furniture designs that brilliantly save you space
- Confronting our twisted relationship with food
Subscribe to the Week