hough an environmental group wants to penalize Americans who bedeck their homes with energy-guzzling Christmas-lights displays, the craze continues unabated. The latest twist: Timing Clark Griswold-esque light shows to twinkle to the tempo of a favorite song—the cleverer the better. Here are seven examples of ambitiously orchestrated Chrismas cheer:
1. 'Guitar Hero': Christmas edition
Inspired by the popular video game, former Disney Imagineer and special effects guru Ric Turner programmed 21,268 bulbs to "play" Eric Johnson’s “Cliffs of Dover” on his family's home.
2. Nutcracker for metalheads
This homeowner has created a heavy-metal holiday display that unfolds in sync with Trans-Siberian Orchestra's "The Silent Nutcracker."
3. "Carol of the Bells" blockbuster
The traditional Christmas song crescendos like never before in this over-the-top showcase.
4. "Jingle Bells" with a twist
The facade of this home seems to flash in a frenetic effort to keep up with Barbra Streisand's breathless spin on the holiday classic, "Jingle Bells."
5. "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" extravaganza
This family's home blinks to the tune of Brenda Lee's 1958 hit, pretty much compelling onlookers to dance merrily "in a new old-fashioned way."
6. An advertising-jingle Christmas
This promotion for LauderdaleChristmas.com in Coral Springs, Florida uses over 64,000 L.E.D. lights to animate a soft-drink jingle. Curiously, the company's slogan is "Putting Christ back in Christmas."
7. "I Gotta [Seasonal] Feeling"
Some loyal college students at the University of Dayton get into the holiday spirit (kind of) and show some school pride with this display synced to the Black Eyed Peas hit.
READ MORE OF THE WEEK'S MOST POPULAR ROUND-UPS:
• Christmas controversies: 2009 Edition
• 9 best 'White Christmas' video spoofs
• World's most expensive Christmas ornaments
• Top 7 insane homeowners association rules
• 8 Facebook misfires that ruined lives
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
Subscribe to the Week