In The Journal of Sexual Medicine, British researchers say the female erogenous zone known as the G spot may be elusive for good reason — it's not there. King's College London professors asked 900 pairs of identical and fraternal female twins whether they had a G spot, theorizing that, in the case of identical twins, if one sibling said yes, the other (whose genes are identical) would, too. The hypothesis proved wrong, leading the researchers to conclude that the much-sought-after pleasure point (officially known as the Gräfenberg Spot) may be a media myth. Meanwhile, sexologist Beverley Whipple, the Rutgers University professor emerita who helped popularize the G spot concept decades ago, says the study is flawed. Who's right?
Trust me, the G spot exists: "I‘ve had more than one partner declare that attempting to find the G spot requires more time, patience, and equipment than searching for buried treasure," says a female blogger in Creative Loafing, but "I've never had trouble locating" mine. This study's conclusion is akin to saying that, "if a majority of 1,800 women claimed to have never had a vaginal orgasm that such things are impossible."
"Death of the G spot 'myth'?"
The media certainly has overplayed the G spot concept: Given how many "millions of Cosmo articles" about the G spot women have endured, says blogger Hortense in Jezebel, there's no doubt the media has skewed women's perceptions. But consider this irony — the same medical journal that published this study recently printed an article declaring that the G spot could be detected with ultrasound.
"Scientists Say 'G spot' doesn't actually exist"
Right or wrong, this study's a gift for men: One thing's for sure, says Hamilton Nolan in Gawker. This study takes a whole lot of pressure off men. If "not even scientists can find a woman's G spot," regular guys everywhere are off the hook.
"It wasn't your fault: 'G spot' doesn't exist"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week