Google's new Nexus One phone — which finally hit stores this week — has generated intense media speculation, much of it focused on whether the device will inflict fatal metaphorical violence upon Apple's iconic iPhone. Here, a brief sampling of the media's obsessive use of the "iPhone killer" meme.
• The basic question: "Is Google unveiling an 'iPhone Killer?'" (CNN)
• Or to put it another way: "Google's Nexus One an iPhone Killer?" (CBS News)
• Apparently, yes: "Google unleashes an 'iPhone killer.'" (Palmetto Scoop)
• Or people who enjoy awkward sentence structure: "What this is isn't the iPhone Killer." (Inquisitr)
• But Nexus One does come very close: "If there was ever something that could be labeled 'an iPhone killer,' this is probably the closest we've seen of it." (ZDNet)
• And, in some ways, merely announcing that your phone will slaughter the competition is flattering: "Google, who announced their Nexus One iPhone killer yesterday, is sitting pretty." (IT World)
• Still, whatever consumers think, some insiders will never be convinced: "Many industry watchers do not think the Nexus One is an iPhone killer." (BBC News)
• Especially since the idea of an "iPhone killer" is, conclusively, unthinkable: "There is no iPhone killer." (Apple Gazette)
• And, arguably, creepy: "I don't want the Nexus One to be an iPhone killer...or any kind of killer." (Discovery News)
SEE MORE OF THE WEEK'S GOOGLE PHONE COVERAGE:
• The Google phone: Is $530 too pricey?
• Will the Google phone 'change everything'?
• Best and worst Droid ad parodies
• iPhone vs. Droid: Apple fights back
• Will the Droid be an iPhone killer? (a.k.a. "Droid vs. iPhone")
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week