oogle's new Nexus One phone — which finally hit stores this week — has generated intense media speculation, much of it focused on whether the device will inflict fatal metaphorical violence upon Apple's iconic iPhone. Here, a brief sampling of the media's obsessive use of the "iPhone killer" meme.
• The basic question: "Is Google unveiling an 'iPhone Killer?'" (CNN)
• Or to put it another way: "Google's Nexus One an iPhone Killer?" (CBS News)
• Apparently, yes: "Google unleashes an 'iPhone killer.'" (Palmetto Scoop)
• Or people who enjoy awkward sentence structure: "What this is isn't the iPhone Killer." (Inquisitr)
• But Nexus One does come very close: "If there was ever something that could be labeled 'an iPhone killer,' this is probably the closest we've seen of it." (ZDNet)
• And, in some ways, merely announcing that your phone will slaughter the competition is flattering: "Google, who announced their Nexus One iPhone killer yesterday, is sitting pretty." (IT World)
• Still, whatever consumers think, some insiders will never be convinced: "Many industry watchers do not think the Nexus One is an iPhone killer." (BBC News)
• Especially since the idea of an "iPhone killer" is, conclusively, unthinkable: "There is no iPhone killer." (Apple Gazette)
• And, arguably, creepy: "I don't want the Nexus One to be an iPhone killer...or any kind of killer." (Discovery News)
SEE MORE OF THE WEEK'S GOOGLE PHONE COVERAGE:
• The Google phone: Is $530 too pricey?
• Will the Google phone 'change everything'?
• Best and worst Droid ad parodies
• iPhone vs. Droid: Apple fights back
• Will the Droid be an iPhone killer? (a.k.a. "Droid vs. iPhone")
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Black Death is back
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- Watch Fox News' Megyn Kelly claim Santa, like Jesus, is a white guy
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Millennial women have seriously narrowed the wage gap with men
- How Arrow became the best superhero show on television
- 5 surprising snubs from the Golden Globe nominations
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
Subscribe to the Week