Results: After Bulgarians voted the "chushkopek" — an appliance for roasting up to seven peppers at once — as the most revolutionary household advance of the 20th century, we asked you for the NEXT household breakthrough. You cooked up:
FIRST PRIZE: Smoke Detector with a Snooze Button
Ken Hussar, Lancaster, PA
SECOND PRIZE: The Facebook Fork: Now you can update your status at every meal!
Lisa Arenas, Oconomowok, WI
THIRD PRIZE: The off button.
Daniel Burstein, Jacksonville, FL
The Chushkopek Max, with Automatic Timer: Roasts up to 14 at a time.
Laura Kudron, Hernando, FL
The Chushkopek Plus: Has a bottle opener built into its side!
Kent Francis, Oberlin, PA
The Chushkopek Cozy
Mark Remy, Allentown, PA (And thanks to many others with Chushkopek suggestions!)
SG RoboCare: A Sandwich Generation robot that teaches the children how to cook and play baseball, tends to a demented parent and teaches its owner how to use an iPhone.
Bonnie Schlueter, Lower Burrell, PA
The George Foreman Still
Daisy Michael, Westminster, MD
The Tissue Alarm: Emits a piercing warning siren when pockets are not emptied of tissues prior to going into the washer or dryer.
Judith Klein, Frisco, TX
The Ten-Second Toaster
Terry Davis, Troutdale, OR
The Magnanal: Magnetically returns all household devices to their place after usage.
Barry Cutler, Palm Desert, CA
Cordless Taser: Your kids WILL finish their dinner.
Kristy Rimwood, Owings Mills, MD
The Macrowave Oven: Got a crowd coming over? Prepare a side of beef in no time!
Valerie Klein, Frisco, TX
Non-Electric Food Dehydrator Tray: Place food on tray for a few months and moisture miraculously disappears!
Luke Cunningham, Charleston, SC
Revolutionary Can Compactor: Place one side of the device on each hip. Press button.
Cathy Curtis, Finksburg, MD
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- Your weekly streaming recommendation: The One I Love
Subscribe to the Week