Listen in as John Hockenberry and Celeste Headlee, hosts of Public Radio International's "The Takeaway," discuss the new installment of The Week's "Good Week, Bad Week"—and invite listeners to call in with opinions of their own. See more from "The Takeaway."
Good week for:
Sarah Palin, who signed on as a regular commentator with Fox News, a network that’s particularly popular with the conservative Republicans she’ll need for any presidential run. “It’s wonderful to be part of a place that so values fair and balanced news,” Palin said.
Aerodynamics, after star Australian hurdler Jana Rawlinson had her breast implants removed to boost her chances of winning a medal at the 2012 Olympics. Rawlinson said she “absolutely loved having bigger boobs,” but did not want to “shortchange Australia.”
Petit-Rocher, a Canadian seaside town where residents scooped up and ate hundreds of lobsters washed ashore after a storm, defying federal officials who warned they’d be fined $100,000 because the crustaceans were not trapped by licensed fishermen. “If it’s illegal, they are going to have to make a very big prison for us all,” said Mayor Pierre Godin.
Bad week for:
Couch potatoes, after a new study found that each additional hour spent plopped motionless in front of the TV every day increases the risk of dying by 11 percent.
Jeff Muller, a pet store owner from Newton, N.J., who was shot with a stun gun, kidnapped, and driven 1,000 miles by four men who apparently mistook him for another Jeff Muller. Muller’s misadventure “might be the next Sunday night movie,” said one cop.
Terrorism jokes at the airport, after an off-duty German policeman was taken into custody at Stuttgart Airport when he was overheard saying he planned to detonate his underpants. It was just a joke, he told unamused security officials.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- Summer movie guide: All the films you should see in August
Subscribe to the Week