Listen in as John Hockenberry and Celeste Headlee, hosts of Public Radio International's "The Takeaway," discuss the new installment of The Week's "Good Week, Bad Week"—and invite listeners to call in with opinions of their own. See more from "The Takeaway."
Good week for:
Sarah Palin, who signed on as a regular commentator with Fox News, a network that’s particularly popular with the conservative Republicans she’ll need for any presidential run. “It’s wonderful to be part of a place that so values fair and balanced news,” Palin said.
Aerodynamics, after star Australian hurdler Jana Rawlinson had her breast implants removed to boost her chances of winning a medal at the 2012 Olympics. Rawlinson said she “absolutely loved having bigger boobs,” but did not want to “shortchange Australia.”
Petit-Rocher, a Canadian seaside town where residents scooped up and ate hundreds of lobsters washed ashore after a storm, defying federal officials who warned they’d be fined $100,000 because the crustaceans were not trapped by licensed fishermen. “If it’s illegal, they are going to have to make a very big prison for us all,” said Mayor Pierre Godin.
Bad week for:
Couch potatoes, after a new study found that each additional hour spent plopped motionless in front of the TV every day increases the risk of dying by 11 percent.
Jeff Muller, a pet store owner from Newton, N.J., who was shot with a stun gun, kidnapped, and driven 1,000 miles by four men who apparently mistook him for another Jeff Muller. Muller’s misadventure “might be the next Sunday night movie,” said one cop.
Terrorism jokes at the airport, after an off-duty German policeman was taken into custody at Stuttgart Airport when he was overheard saying he planned to detonate his underpants. It was just a joke, he told unamused security officials.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
Subscribe to the Week